Free Online Movie Sites     Movie Search     Forum Search     Register

HavenVideo contains User Generated Content and we Respect Copyright Holders
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Last Book You Read?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:08 am 
Advanced Member

i do know this is a forum for movies buuuttt... books came first? haha

my 'job' allows for a pretty blank sched so in addition to loving and craving movies im also a fiend for books and have been known to devour a novel or two..

im always interested in what other books people are coming across so hit me with the last book you read...
today i got into some novellas and read Franz Kafkas the Metamorphosis and HP Lovecrafts At the Mountains of Madness. both out of bigger volumes of mine and both very good. the latter took longer to read but i always like lovecrafts intelligent prose. definitely recommend both if you come across them.
ImageImage

ive a book by timothy leary up next. ill let you know how it is..

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Last Book You Read?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:55 am 
Mod

Not a big reader, but the last book I read was Evasion released by the anarchist collective CrimethInc, the original author wished to remain anonymous for reasons which are pretty obvious if you read it. It's a wonderful true story about what it's like to travel across the United States with nothing but the clothes on your back and a 5 dollar bill in your pocket. Lots of great information in this book that could save your life if you ever end up on the streets. It's freely available on the net for anyone who knows how to use google :thumbz:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:36 am 
VIP Elite

I love to read. However I do it in spurts if that makes sense. I will go a long time without reading then I'll find a book that just hits me and then I'm reading constantly for months. The last book I read was Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris. It is the first book in the Sookie Stackhouse novels that is now a tv series on HBO called True Blood. I was quite impressed on how well HBO stuck to the book.

Of course I am a huge fan of the Twilight series. I've read each of the four books about a million times. Loved the books and the movie. Can't wait for the second movie to come out.

Great Thread!! Thanks for posting it!

:wubz: :heartz:

Tee.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:11 am 
Advanced Member

'evasion' sounds pretty toreadlist-worthy. ive been meaning to check out the HBO series True Blood but mabye ill check out the book first like you Tee :thumbz:

^ on that note i was lucky enough to come across the first Dexter book [character from Showtime] by Jeff Lindsay before the series and it was sweet too put some faces and places to the words when the show came out

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:31 pm 
VIP Elite

Location: Well, if there is a green "Online" above my avy then I'm here
Not a huge reader these days, but am reading this just now...

Why Is Sex Fun?

Brief Information

Why are humans one of the few species to have sex in private? Why are human females the only mammals to go through menopause? Why is the human penis so unnecessarily large? There is no more knowledgeable authority than the award-winning author of THE THIRD CHIMPANZEE to answer these intriguing questions. Here is a delightfully entertaining and enlightening look at the unique sex lives of humans.

Product Description

To us humans the sex lives of many animals seem weird. In fact, by comparison with all the other animals, we are the ones with the weird sex lives. How did that come to be?Just count our bizarre ways. We are the only social species to insist on carrying out sex privately. Stranger yet, we have sex at any time, even when the female can't be fertilized (for example, because she is already pregnant, post-menopausal, or between fertile cycles). A human female doesn't know her precise time of fertility and certainly doesn't advertise it to human males by the striking color changes, smells, and sounds used by other female mammals.Why do we differ so radically in these and other important aspects of our sexuality from our closest ancestor, the apes? Why does the human female, virtually alone among mammals go through menopause? Why does the human male stand out as one of the few mammals to stay (often or usually) with the female he impregnates, to help raise the children that he sired? Why is the human penis so unnecessarily large?There is no one better qualified than Jared Diamond--renowned expert in the fields of physiology and evolutionary biology and award-winning author--to explain the evolutionary forces that operated on our ancestors to make us sexually different. With wit and a wealth of fascinating examples, he explains how our sexuality has been as crucial as our large brains and upright posture in our rise to human status.

Categories:
Health & Fitness | Sexuality
Psychology | Human Sexuality
Science | Life Sciences | Evolution | Human

Dewey: 306.7
Series: Science Masters
Features: N/A
Target Age Group: N/A

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:47 pm 
Last book I read was:

Currently reading Isaac Asimov's The Collected Stories, Vol. I for the second time. :partyz: Along with about 10 other books ranging from poetry and sci-fi to psychology and alternative/religious/paranormal. I love to read! :heartz:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:01 am 
Advanced Member

Nemi133 wrote:

Currently reading Isaac Asimov's The Collected Stories, Vol. I for the second time. :partyz: Along with about 10 other books ranging from poetry and sci-fi to psychology and alternative/religious/paranormal. I love to read! :heartz:

i definitely feel that love. Asimovs got some great short stuff and along similiar lines lie the works of Philip K Dick. ive collections of shorts by both and if you like one, you'll like the other.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:33 am 
Oh! Another fan! :bowz:
I have worked my way through the Foundation Saga and am impatiently awaiting to get a hold of my dad's Robot Series. :grin:
Loved his take on detective stories in Asimov's Mysteries. He was truly amazing!

I appreciate the tip! Will definitely be checking him out! :heartz: Same era too, I see. (Thank you, Google!)
I see a trip to the library in my near future.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:42 pm 
VIP

As self study a very intresting book... you really should read when you want to know in a critical and pretty objective way more about religion and the big why's, as why can be religion so aggresive and how did it all start.

About all kind of religion experiencers, the dangers, the mis-understanding and the human need/hunk for religion.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:56 pm 
Mod

Probably the last Harry Potter book :-D

Profile E-mail